Monday, November 27, 2006

Crosby Back Tomorrow...Hopefully and Some Notes....

Sidney Crosby could be back in the line-up tomorrow night against the New York Islanders. The team has really missed him and his 2 points per night...well it is more like 1.56, but who is counting.

He practiced with the team this morning and was skating like his old self. Let's hope that he doesn't aggravate the injury, because a groin can linger for extended periods of time. Isn't that right Mr. Jagr? Jaro has been famous over the years for having the nagging season long groin injury....it is not an easy thing to overcome, considering most hockey movements put stress on that particular muscle.

With Crosby's return to the line-up, Eric Christensen will most likely move to the wing as we discussed here over the past few days. The team thinks that he can be successful in that role. Christensen was playing some wing in Wilkes Barre Scranton right before his call up on a line with Edmonton prospect Rob Schremp. General manager Ray Shero thinks that EC can make the switch, "We want to give him a look on the side, so if he does come up, he's comfortable, and he knows what he's doing positionally. He's a smart player, so I don't think he'd have any trouble adjusting, no matter what role he was put in."

Aside from these items, it is a pretty slow news day in Penguin land. So, with that in mind, I will share a couple things I have been holding for just this situation!

Sidney Crosby is a Pen Thief! I am kidding of course, but I wanted to share a story that shows again the kind of person Sidney Crosby is. The other night when I was at the game, I am looking though my paperwork and taking some pregame notes. I get a tap on the arm and hear: "Excuse me, can I borrow a pen?" I look over my shoulder and it is none other than our injured superstar. I oblige and hand him my pen, the ONLY one I had with me. I always have an extra, but didn't on this night. I figured that he would bring it back in a second, to no avail! However I was touched when I heard where he went with my implement. In talking to an usher who was in the area I found out that as Sid had been coming through the corridor there was a little girl in a wheel chair lit up when she saw Crosby, and asked for an autograph. Sid didn't have a pen....alas; Metzer saves the day, and plays a small part in this act of kindness. Sid never made it back to me due to some other obligations....and inadvertently made off with my pen. I thought it was a neat story and wanted to share it with you all...

If you are a Crosby fan and haven't read Shawna Richer's book, The Rookie, you should. It chronicles her season with the young star. She was dispatched to Pittsburgh to cover his entire season, and she did a great job. The book really shows the type of player and person that this young man is. It is a very enjoyable read. Plus it would make a great gift for the Penguins or Hockey fan in your life!

Another great read: Tales of the Pittsburgh Penguins by Tribune Review columnist Joe Starky. Starky's book is a collection of great stories from the franchise's birth in 1967 through the night Sidney Crosby notched his 100th point during his rookie season. I really enjoyed, and think a lot of you will too. Let me know if you guys get a chance to read them. I am curious as to your thoughts.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kris said...

This is great news. When I read this on ESPN I was so happy. Now I hope questionable turns out to be playing bet we will all just have to wait til tommorrow to see.

pensinsider.blogspot.com

10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard this morning that Sidney might be doubtful for tonight's game vs. the Isles. Any news?

10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google